Friday, August 8, 2008

Food

i blog-hop a few places now and then
to my ultimate dismay, everybody write a good post on food entry.
and most of the time, i dont ask that much of Q or bother to find out, just stuffing myself silly.

well, i decided to start off with official food post now.my first again
let me start off with food from my hometown, Sarawak (yeah, that place famous for Bujang Senang and what not, btw, we dont live on trees).
i am Sibu, Sarawak-bornt but never been around for long. just 2-3 times per year home trip. that's all


my first-stop after plane ride. ALWAYS. my mom eats in this place since her teens, i eat this for more than 20yrs. i started eating this before i suck my milk bottle. very nostalgic place.

the man who is behind all the stunt. Usually his son will be the one handling the wok, which ermmm has a little slight deviation to his cooking skill. i was lucky to have the Daddy aka Master instead....woo hoo~~

"Diang Miang Ngu"(鼎边糊). made of flour and that roundish thingy is actually home-made fish balls. u can actually opt for only fish-balls which i usually do and dig for my brother's "Diang Miang Ngu" instead. -_-

hey, i like fish-balls. the all-fish balls. excuse my grandma sour face. i just got off the god-damn 2 hrs plane ride early morning ma..



the cream soda. step aside coke and pepsi.

how to make Diang Miang Ngu. this roller here, my friend, is the main ingredient. if u have nth to do and decided to break in and steal this roller, u are stealing the life of Diang Miang Ngu

excuse the fool with specs. it was unintentional. i never thought i would write a food entry here.
really the back-lane. so old school~ this,i am telling u, u cannot find anywhere else.

next

"Kam Buan" noodles (干捞面)....
it's cheap, delicious, simple, fast..
however,it's non-halal (sorry, my Muslim pals)..
i seldom eat this when i am there cause usually my mom will "ta-pao" (English: take-away, Malay: bungkus) 20+ packets, bring it here to Semenanjung and it's still hot after 2 hrs of flight.

the white noodles (w/o soya sauce), there is another type with soya sauce.

next, i skipped "Kam Buan" noodles when i am in Sarawak, cause i need to save some space for this (below)..it's soupy and i cannot "ta pao" it back right

cannot be found in West Msia. "char ju" noodles. it's the way of cooking that put it a level above the normal noodles here in West Msia.

FINALLE....


must soak. or else it's so hard and chewy it makes baguette runs home to France in shame.
"Kom Biang" (光饼).
made using lard,onion and salt plus sesame seeds on top..then stuff with meat slapped onto sides of homemade traditional Chinese oven served with that special dark gravy. i like to soak it up. it is something like donuts/ bagels to Western but this is our very own Eastern favor.

my way of eating. soak till lembik (English: soft and mushy) and topped it up with chilli sauce.

the best "Kom Biang" can be found in Chung Hua Road. it's an old shop interconnected to house. really really old school.
my dad ate it everyday after school last time, riding bicycle from school and it's the only thing that he looked forward to every morning when he woke up.
and of course, must have is red bean+milk concoction.

so delicious u can forget ur way home.

(note: the names are rendered in the Fuzhou dialect which is obviously radically differ from Standard Mandarin)

hence, i shall end my first post on food. sorry if i dont do good on all the explaining. there is definitely room for improvement. common,be nice and gimme a chance~~

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Cleff hide in shame* I don't write about places to eat, because I have a sensitive stomach that sends me to toilet if I eat wrongly. I end up cooking my meals, and my own cooking is too embarrassing to even blog about. LOL.

Rose, I never head about 光饼 before...never even seen one. I wonder if i can find it in KL. It certainly look delicious. It's the savoury kind, not sweet, right? Do you know where i can find it in kl? or the recipe of this thing?

Roses said...

Dear Cleff,
i seldom eat out too. occasionally yeah. if i am away for holiday but most of the time i will be busy eating while my friends who blog keep snapping photos...i am sure there are lotsa places that are clean for ur stomach or u can always stock-up on the anti-diarrheal/charcoal when u eat out. at least u cook..i dont -_-

光饼..i am not so sure about KL area however, there is a place here that has huge population of Fuzhou too. Ipoh, Sitiawan. but theirs' differ a little. the next time u drop by Sitiwan, maybe u can try. personally, i like the one stuff with meat, not onions.

Anonymous said...

we got most of these food in Sitiawan too. Yummy

Pete said...

Rose, all the food looks good and I think it cannot be found in West Malaysia. Is that real soft drink bottle(krim soda) like our FNN Icecream Soda or kicap bottle? Ha Ha, the Grandma Sour face pictures is real cute! LOL

fufu said...

hahaha... you gotta buy a better camera so that your future blog entries will be more attractive =p

Roses said...

Dear Pete
yeah, cant be found in West Malaysia. even if luck is on my side and i found it somewhere here, it will taste different compared w the sarawak's.
it is cream soda like our FNN IceCream Soda but less sugar.in a kicap bottle..hehehehe
grandma pic-is that a compliment or sarcasm?!?!

Dear FuFu
i am gonna buy better camera soon.*aiming at bin and dishing my Olympus
but all the photos here are taken by my bro's Canon boh :P

Pete said...

Compliment lah! Really very cute!

Calvin Soo KJ said...

looks delish rose. even though the photos are a little blurish, they do look good. felt like copying the photos, printing them out, burn em and eat em.....*burp*...my mouth tastes a little sour...hehehe

Mei-Wah said...

yay... your first attempt on becoming a flogger (food + blogger = flogger)!!! and you did it so well! congratulations! keep it on gurl~ bring us more sarawak kon lou mee~

Valerie Chong said...

Wow rose, I would have never known about these kinda food if you didn't post it up.. looks good AND interesting! *thumbs up*

Jolyn said...

I ate some of those before!

I miss tht Diang Miang Ngu !!! I think its the same shop tht i ate last time too. Geez. Time Flies.

I didnt kno ppl eat Kong Piang tht way. I used to eat it the crunchy way tho. Comparing S'wak's and Sitiawan's style of Kong Piang, I like the latter one better. :)

*mouth drooling with saliva already*

Roses said...

dear valerie
nobody will know all these...underrated stuff..

dear jolyn
that particular shop of Diang Miang Ngu has been around for ages...it still is good despite the backlane location

there are 2ways of eating Kong Piang. u can take it the soft by soaking it in gravy of hard way by eating as it is.
i have yet to try Sitiawan and i dont think i am gonna try it either since i fall deeply in love with the S'wak's..